Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

One of the ways I do curves...

I have been busy trying to finish off a piece but don't have much to show in the way of progress. I therefore thought that I might do something different........
Many of my pieces have curves in the enhancements. Here is one of the ways I achieve this.














 
I use the indexing feature of my lathe and divide the piece into segments (24 in my case). I then divide the height into segments creating a network of " latitude and longitude" lines. Using the intersections of the lines enables me to create endless variations of curves that are smooth and repeatable. The really important part is to ensure that the pencil is on the centreline of the lathe axis.
The end result is something like this:


The pieces shown were turned from Jacaranda some time ago but the time draws near when they need to be completed.
Hope this helps someone!










No comments:

Post a Comment